Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What Went Wrong (In Your Head)

Actually, nothing went wrong, it all went right. I may have jumped the gun a bit, but I did it, I shaved my head. I didn’t shave it myself; my friend Arlo actually did the deed of making me bald.

My hair had just been coming out so much that I couldn't keep up with it. It was getting depressing finding it everywhere from my pillow to my bathroom sink and I just thought I had nothing to lose- except it. There's so little I have control of with the cancer, I thought I might as well just take charge and do it. I probably could have had hair for another month, but alas, I jumped the gun.

When it came time to shave it, I called Arlo and asked if he would do the honors. A pro at shaving his own head, he kindly obliged. I also knew his wife Oksana would be able to make a stellar Mohawk, something I wanted to do for my nephew Mitchell who has always been infatuated with Mohawks. Mitch is in Iraq right now, but has already seen photos and said “You rocked the hell out of that Mohawk; it put both of mine to shame.” I’m here to please Mitch, here to please. The funny thing is that now that my head is shaved, I look a lot like Mitch. Even my niece Lexie said I look like Cousin Mitch.

When I told Lena I was going to cut all my hair off she looked at me and said, “Just like Arlo and Scott.” (Our two friends with shaved heads.) She seemed reasonably unaffected by the suggestion and when she pulled my hat off my head this morning, all she could do was giggle. Aurelia thinks it’s funny too. I guess I do too.

It was a fun evening spent with good friends who helped me make light of the situation. I can’t say it was tear-free because as Arlo shaved the final spot, I did get a little teary eyed. But, I was laughing soon after as Arlo and I compared our bald heads for the camera.

Enjoy the show…























On other news, Cristina is going to see the Indigo Girls tonight, live! They are performing at the LaSalle Stewart Center at Oregon State University, a stage I have performed on! I can now say I’ve sung on the same stage as the Indigo Girls. But that’s not the most exciting part; Cristina’s going to call me while they’re playing so I can listen in. Whohoo!!

1 comment:

  1. I think you look pretty. It's good to have such a nicely shaped head!

    ReplyDelete