Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sounds Strange

This is going to sound incredibly odd, but I had the best chemo treatment today at Bartlett Hospital. I opted to go alone and leave Addison at home with Aurelia because I just wanted a break from everything. Don’t get me wrong, I love my girls and Addison, but I just wanted a few hours to myself that didn’t involve wiping noses, changing diapers, chasing Lena, or cleaning up messes. For the 4 1/2 hours I was at the hospital, I almost felt like I was at a relaxation spa, except instead of getting a massage and pedicure, chemicals were being pumped into my body.

I was a little nervous because right before I left, my port incision started leaking a bit of fluid- drat! It hadn’t leaked at all since last Friday, but wouldn’t you know it, right before I need to go in, it starts up again. Dr. Fisher said if it was bad, they would give me chemo in my arm. Tamara the infusion nurse was not pleased when she saw it, but felt it was good enough to go ahead. I am really hoping this thing heals and stops causing problems.


Tamara is so amazing. She is the only nurse in the chemo unit and does the work of 10. She runs around between patients like a jumping jack firecracker, popping in to reset alarms and check on people. She runs a tight ship with warmth and compassion, and everyone loves her for it.

Aside from getting chemo, today was spent working on Aurelia’s baby book, watching a movie on my laptop, resting, and reading. I was a little worried because I didn’t eat breakfast before coming and I was going to be here through lunch, but no fear, Tamara ordered everyone lunch from the cafeteria. Three cheers for Tamara! To say I was excited was an understatement. Most my lunches are eaten standing up while holding Aurelia and usually consist of something I can make with one hand. Then Lena usually asks for every other bite resulting in me not getting much to eat. My lunch today consisted of hot roast beef, mashed potatoes, gravy, vegetable barley soup and vanilla pudding with whipped cream, it was heavenly, and I actually considered licking my plate, but the curtain wasn’t drawn and I didn’t want to look silly. The two men next to me couldn’t finish their lunches; they must not have kids under two.


I left chemo feeling really relaxed and rested (and kind of high.) The man next to me was also relaxed; he was snoring so loudly, I swear he was the one who set the car alarm off outside. But even his lumber sawing couldn’t annoy me today. I am happy this is a place where people can come and get the rest and care they need. Who knew chemo could be so enjoyable? (Knock on wood!)

2 comments:

  1. Franny, you are so freaking amazing. What an inspiration - I love reading your posts, and thank you so much for keeping those of us so far away up to date. I hope that you never have to think of those chemo trips as anything but a day spa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so great that you can look at the brightest spot of getting Chemo and seeing it as a relaxing spa treatment. Most of the healing that is done is mental and having the right attitude helps so much in getting thru it.
    Keep it up Franny!! Spa or no Spa!! You got the right attitude!!

    ReplyDelete