Monday, February 1, 2010

It Happens Every Day

Making white blood cells hurts! Here we are, going about our daily lives making white blood cells and not even thinking about it, but as soon as we are given an injection to help us make more- watch out! I spent the much of the Saturday curled up on the couch groaning in pain. Addison had to give me my second shot on Saturday morning and it really set me over the edge. My lovely nurse Lena held my hand and stroked my head and said, “Its okay mommy, this won’t hurt a bit!” as Addison jabbed the needle into my stomach. Lena was right, the shot itself didn’t hurt, but the effect of the meds did. A few hours later, I had shooting spasms up and down my spine that brought up memories of child birth. My joints hurt so bad I was stumbling around the house, trying not to move. I am not looking forward to doing this every time I have chemo.

So, make sure you thank your bone marrow for making white blood cells every day without the help of drugs. It works very hard and deserves a pat on the back, leg, arm, or wherever bone marrow is present!

No comments:

Post a Comment