Monday, February 22, 2010

Thank you

The amount of help and sense of love I have received since I’ve been diagnosed with cancer is unbelievable. From flowers and cards immediately sent to my hotel and house, from friends and family driving to be with me in Seattle, babysitting (me and the kiddos), telephone calls, hats, scarves, gift certificates for massages, my Facebook support group, e-mails, meals, head shaving and hair dying, presents, wristband wearing friends and coworkers, lending of an electric blanket, state sick leave donations, and money to help with medical and travel expenses—I can’t even begin to express how loved I feel.

I was floored when Addison came home from the work the day we were leaving for Arizona and said, “This is for you,” as he clumsily handed me a thick envelope. I asked him what it was as I fumbled to open it and found bill after bill of cash and check after check and two cards filled to the brim with well wishes. I couldn’t even speak; I just held the envelope and cried. I finally muttered, “oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh.” Addison couldn’t look towards me and instead just looked out our bedroom window and said, “There’s over six hundred dollars in there.” The money came from his coworkers and volunteers at the Juneau Douglas City Museum and Parks and Recreation (the division that oversees the museum and a place I briefly worked when we first moved to Juneau.) Addison’s boss Jane, a cancer survivor, organized the effort.

I can’t write this entry without tears coming to my eyes. It’s not the money (although greatly appreciated) it’s the people in our lives that I see maybe once a month (if that) who care so much to do such great things. It dumbfounds me and leaves me embarrassed and speechless. I just hope that I can be half the friend and support that everyone has been to me if any of my friends or coworkers is ever in need. Heck, if anyone is need. I’ve heard people I don’t even know have donated leave to me for my state job.

All I can say is get ready for a party. Get ready for a huge thank you party come August! Everyone is invited, even the neighbors we don’t know yet. There has been talk of a Hawaiian luau party and a roasted pig, or perhaps renting the Spinning Pig BBQ. (I don’t know why the pig keeps coming up in conversation of party planning; we’re not really pig people, although my grandfather was a pig farmer) But anyway, stay tuned everyone. The party will be big and you all are invited. You all are part of this recovery effort and believe me when I say I couldn’t make it through without you. If love alone can cure cancer, I’m set.

1 comment:

  1. You SO DESERVE ALL OF THIS Frances. I think it speaks volumes of what a wonderful person you are!

    ReplyDelete