Friday, February 19, 2010

Vacation


Today I’m getting chemo in Lake Havasu City, Arizona. We’re visiting my parents who have joined the rest of the snowbirds from the North Country and flown south for the winter. It’s been very relaxing and the kids seem to be really enjoying themselves. Lena is living in shorts and although battling a cold, Aurelia is chipper and full of smiles. Highlights include cruising around the block in grandpa’s ’32 Vicky.

Lake Havasu is the third place I’ve received chemo and it’s different everywhere I go. Maybe I should go on a world chemo tour and become a travel writer hunting out the best places to get chemo. My first book could be entitled “Chemo on the Go: The Best Places to Receive Chemo.”

My medical experience in Lake Havasu has definitely been interesting to say the least. I first met with the local oncologist. His office was decorated in the colors of teal, coral and cream with wicker furniture and cactuses. He looked like an older Ken Doll wearing frayed white jeans, brown loafers, a light blue button up shirt that was only buttoned as far as his naval with a giant gold cross necklace draped around his neck. He was a far cry from stylish Dr. Fisher in Juneau. The purpose of my pre-chemo appointment is for the Dr. to give me a quick physical to make sure I’m strong enough for chemo and that I have no blaring illnesses. Ken Doll simply looked at me and listened to my heart and then left. Okay, guess I’m good to go!

My mom came with me to chemo this morning and was quickly turned away at the door as they only allow patients in the dingy room with old overstuffed brown leather Lazy Boy recliners. Monk was on TV and all I could think was Monk would not want to sit in the dirty looking Lazy Boy- neither did I! They didn’t have any of my medications that I’m supposed to take prior to starting chemo so my mom had to run to Walgreens to get it. Unfortunately, because they didn’t give it to me before they started, I’m already feeling dizzy and nauseous and I’m not even done receiving all of it. This may make for a tough next few days.

The infusion nurse here is nice, but not as efficient as Tamara back in Juneau. Tamara dots all her I’s and crosses all her T’s. Given the trouble I’ve had with my port, I like that Tamara takes such care to make sure it’s working before she begins. The nurse here just jabbed the needle in my port (with no numbing agents) and immediately started the infusions. Also, at Virginia Mason and Bartlett, they continually check to make sure I am indeed Frances Field and confirm my birth date each time they start a new drug. Then they tell me what they are giving me before starting the medication. This time, the nurse just hooked things up and went to town pumping me full of the drugs. I just hope I got the right things and not someone else’s meds.

So far, Lake Havasu would be low on my travel list for where to get chemo, although high on my list of places to visit just for fun!





3 comments:

  1. Chemo at Huntsman Cancer Hospital in SLC sounds similar to Seattle. Seriously, Lake Havasu City sounds a bit scary. Good luck to you through this continued adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts make me laugh :) It is nice. I am so glad you are there with your parent's and your family. The girls are adorable! Good luck with the nausea, and girl...that's one more down!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your writing and I'd totally read your book whether I needed the advice or not!

    ReplyDelete